Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Review: Storm Witch by D.N. Hoxa


Kindle Edition (285 pages)
Published June 21st 2018
Free on Kindle Unlimited or buy for $0.99
Part of a new Series (Scarlet Jones #1)
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars



Plot

My name is Scarlet Jones, and I’m a witch…of some kind. Probably.
Those who knew me growing up, thought of me as a spoiled little brat they didn’t want to have anything to do with. I did break things on purpose, stole others, and I may or may not have set half my school on fire, but come on! They were being too hard on me.

I grew up in a family full of strong Blood witches, in which my strange magic never belonged. I thought I was the only one of my kind out there, a true freak of nature, and I liked it that way. I lived on my own, learning to hunt these creatures nobody seemed to know anything about, a bunch of mindless thingies who were in the habit of sucking my magic dry wherever they found me. I even set up a party for them, just so I could teach them some manners.

But my plan went to hell when four strangers crashed the party, people who apparently were like me. Just like that, I no longer felt like a special little flower. With four unconscious bodies at my feet and no idea what was going on, I thought that was the worst it was going to get. Boy, was I wrong…

The rest of my life is only just beginning, and by the looks of it, it is not going to be a smooth ride.



How I Got This Book:
I got this book as an ARC through Hidden Gems.

The Postives
Once I was finally able to immerse myself into this book I was hooked. Scarlet is a badass who doesn’t quite see in herself what other people see in her. Many times throughout the novel she has people look to her to lead them and train them. Each time we read her thoughts of how she doesn’t think she is strong enough to be able to help them. This helped to make Scarlett seem relatable to the reader. Another way that I personally was able to connect with her is that she is a loner who realizes that she doesn’t want to be alone. In the beginning of the book she keeps telling herself that she doesn’t want a group to belong to, that it is safer for her if she stays on her own. By the middle she has realized that she is truly lonely and that she needs companionship.
The story unfolds at a good pace that keeps you hooked while giving you a short breather between the actions scenes.
The Negatives
Okay so literally the only thing that is negative, and that made me give this book four stars instead of five, is that it was so hard to get into at first. I picked the book up and put it down numerous times. Finally, I forced myself to read it and I am so glad that I did.
Final Thoughts
Pick this book up if you can. It is only $0.99 in the Kindle store, and free if you have kindle unlimited. You don’t have a Kindle? If you have a smart phone you can download the Kindle app for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment